Renovating my shed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've had a look but in getting some conflicting information ..

I have a shed that has 4 brick pillars holding the roof up, the sides are brick that I'm going to render. The front and back are old tired and rotting wood...

I want to replace the front and back as cheaply and quickly as I can and Im wondering the best way to do this as obviously the wood will need to stand up to the weather?

It has a solid frame behind some basic timber that's been painted with treatment at the moment.. Most of the frame is in tact so I will be just looking to replace the timber with new?

I heard osb is slightly water resistant but I doubt it will hold up to UK weather could I use this and then treat it with something oraybw exterior plywood?? Or could I maybe buy some exterior cladding and treat that??

Any tips on what I should use / do would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Probably better posting this in the IN THE GARDEN section but.....

FWIW, forget ply and OSB. They won't stand the test of time for cladding a shed. Okay for the roof once felted but not for the sides.

I would suggest treated shiplap or featheredge with the corners being done with either an edging or angle (you can also buy treated angle lengths)

It's not going to be cheap but if you shop arounf you will get a reasonable deal and it will last a lot longer than OSB or ply.

Just IMHO of course.

B

Thanks shiplap sounds good, should I attach it direct to the frame? Or put something behind it for added protection?

Thanks

Basic shed construction is just to have the shiplap nailed to the frame.

There are all sorts of things you can do to add to this depending on what the shed is going to be used for.

If it's just for storage then properly applied shiplap will be fine.

What I would say is that you ought to treat any cut ends of shiplap as the cutting can expose the wood. End treatment will prevent the shiplap starting to rot at the cut, exposed ends albeit this deterioration will take a fair amount of time.

It also depends on what treatment the original shiplap had.

B

Sponsored Links
Ship-lap straight onto the frame.

Putting a breather membrane behind the cladding can help stop any water ingress into the shed (typically not necessary though).

If you decide to put some insulation in as you want to use it for more than storage, then you need to install cladding onto battens to form a cavity.

Would breeze blocks now be a better solution, especially if you're ok to render walls anyway. Bit more expensive obviously, but far more long term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back