Best timber for DIY hinged garage doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Going to be making some hinged doors for a double garage. Looked at buying off the shelf but was getting quotes for £900+ just to supply.

What would be best timber to use, I was thinking 18mm exterior grade ply and decking timber for frame, thoroughly treated with wood preserver before hanging.

Sponsored Links
Not sure that's going to look very good when you've built it or last that long.

I used 4x2 (softwood) for the frame & ledges morticed & tenoned. Braces were 6" or 7" x 1½.
Matchboarding infill was 14mm. It looked crisp for 3 years!

They haven't weathered very well, lots of cracks here and there, sadly, they are in full sun all day I will probably make them again in the future.
Think my next version attempt may built of CLS, but this again is softwood. It's too expensive to make in hardwoods.

Accoya looks good, but again expensive, the pro's will be along with their thoughts.

Personally I would (and have) bought a steel one. My dad spent a long time and a fair bit of money rebuilding his timber door with apparently good quality timber sourced from a local timber merchants, waterproof glue, finished with sikkens etc - it all split apart after a few years. The £450 metal one he replaced it with looks like new 10 years later.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back