Treated or non treated timber for exterior gate to be painte

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

About to build a gate for the front of the alley between mine and my neighbours house. Idea is vertical timber planks on a frame and hinged either side.

What is the best timber to use for this. I seem to recall being told not to use treated timber as you can't paint it??? Not sure I believe this.

Would make sense to use treated timber as it will be outside. Saying that the idea is that the timber is never exposed to wet, as it will be painted with a few coats of exterior gloss paint.

I am lookign for a smooth finish, and do know treated often appears more of a rough cut.

Any advice welcome.

Regards

Mac

Sponsored Links
Any external timber is exposed to moisture , even painted. Timber shrinks in the heat of summer and small cracks appear which allow in the moisture during the winter.
Can't think of a worst treatment for exterior gate than paint.

Thanks Foxhole. Very valid point, however you see lots and lots of painted exterior timber, whether it be garage doors, picket fences, fascias, windows etc. A raw unpainted gate just isn't going to look good against the house.

I'd still like to know whether it would be best made from untreated or treated timber. Not sure if you can paint treated green timber or if that is constantly releasing oils or whatever is in the treatment.

Thanks

Facia etc often have a little protection, fencing is whitewashed and gate is fully exposed, you are going to have 15-20mm movement over it's width, so this has to be allowed for in the design and choice of furniture used.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Foxhole. Very valid point, however you see lots and lots of painted exterior timber, whether it be garage doors, picket fences, fascias, windows etc. A raw unpainted gate just isn't going to look good against the house.

I'd still like to know whether it would be best made from untreated or treated timber. Not sure if you can paint treated green timber or if that is constantly releasing oils or whatever is in the treatment.

Thanks

built a lot of gates over the last few years where i work,and i started treating the timber until i got a b@@@king from the painters,as the paint and chemical started to react against one another,but that was using a spirt based product off the shelf.
i never used the water based stuff i have,so dont know whether this would react the same way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back