Treated Timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just cut all of the pieces for the construction of a pergola using treated timber which is almost colourlessness. I had intended to paint it with ronseal + prior to erecting but neighbour suggests that I should leave it for a few weeks before re coating. Should I or shouldn’t I?

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion but if the material has been stored outside it could well be saturated with rain and I’d like it to dry out a bit first.....if it’s dry though, bash right on.
John

Thanks for the replies guys. The timber is bone dry showing that the treatment has worked. And yes, I have treated the cut ends. However, the question is, do I apply Ronseal fencelife + now or do I wait until the original treatment is washed off?

Sponsored Links
...do I wait until the original treatment is washed off?
It shouldn't wash off. Timber is iften treated using a pressure vessel meaning that the preservative (e.g Tanalith) is carried into the wood by water and it's the water "carrier" which needs to drain off/evaporate before you stain it. If the preservative justcwashed off there would be no point in pressure treatment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back