Renovating old Church: How to fix Leaning Exterior Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been renovating an old church into what will become our family's winery & dinner theater. The west side was built in 1930 on a poured foundation. The wood used to frame the building was obtained from tearing down two older churches. Needless to say the wood is very old, but mostly in perfect condition. When you cut through the wood, it looks as fresh as the day it was cut down, except for a couple of problem areas that rotted due to a leaky roof. These areas have already been replaced with new timber. The old wood is mostly 1 5/8" to 1-3/4" x 5-5/8 to 5-3/4" (2x6s).

An observation is that the wood is far superior (even at its age) to anything you can buy at a Lowes or Home Depot today. The downside to it though is that they were not as precise in making all of the 2x6s (etc) uniform in size back then, as demonstrated by the above measurements. The east side was an addition built in the late 1950s on top of a block foundation using new wood that is the same as the nominal measurements used today.

On to our issue: The exterior walls appear to be leaning outward by as much as 2 - 3 inches. I have no idea how I did not notice this until now except to say I have only been using my level on two axis instead of three. The building is completely gutted; stripped off all its insulation, plaster, drywall, electrical, plumbing, and siding. It is basically a shell of its former self with the frame and the 1930s version of OSB (1x10s?). We have replaced all of the windows and doors. I can only assume that the walls are leaning due to the weight of the roof over the course of the last 80 years. The original collar ties are 19' from the main level floor whereas the studs that comprise the north and west walls are 12' in height. This puts the collar ties at approximately 7' above the end of the roof's slope.

Note: We intend to have a company called Centurion stone use a 2" thick stone veneer on the entire exterior once we are finished putting the last windows and doors in, and have completed adding a level to the bell tower.

1) Is it structurally necessary to fix the lean in the wall (I want to fix it regardless, as the south wall is noticeable if you look at it in contrast with other things in the background that you know to be level).

2) How do we make the walls level again?

I have kept a thorough diary of the remodel on the Winery's Facebook page with before and after photos, additional blueprints, other problems we have encountered and how we have fixed them, etc. It might be a good resource for any structural engineers who want to throw some advice our way. (You might even take a look at other things we have fixed and let us know if we erred anywhere :) One final note is that we had a company called Midwest Basement Systems take a look at the foundation to be sure no work was needed there when we originally obtained this building. They said that with the exception of a couple of cracks in the interior concrete urethane it looked almost as good as the day it was poured and did not need any work. The block foundation on the eastern addition also contains no cracks and is level.

091311.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the roof has spread pushing the walls out.. check the ridge line of the roof and if it dips in the middle then you have your answer..
Can you take any external photos?

Yes, the roof does sag a bit in the middle of the south slope. We bid out the reshingling job to a local contractor. At the time of the bidding process we asked if they thought the sag needed to be removed. It was their opinion that it did not need to be reinforced and that whatever sagging had occurred most likely had stopped (in other words it wasn't going to get any worse). To he honest, the sag is not a true aesthetic issue unless you are standing at the perfect angle looking up at the roof on a plain. How is something like this typically resolved?

I am inclined to use a cable wrenching system of sorts to pull the tops of the walls back in and then put new collar ties in 1ft below the current collar ties. The though is that the new collar ties would hold the roof, and subsequently the walls, in place after the cables are removed.

Thoughts?

Once the roof has sagged there is little you can do to pull it all back together to original possition.. best is to try and stop any future movement..
To be honest I do not know how your roof was constructed and am not too familiar with american building techniques of the 1930s..
Normally you would tie the eaves of the roof across the ceiling joists.. but i get the feeling you have a vaulted roof and only collar ties to stop any spread.. Anyways you would be better off getting a local engineer to come out and look at things and come up with a suggestion..

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is vaulted with only collar ties to prevent movement. The roof structure was clearly built on site back in 1930 using the lumber from two other torn down churches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back