Questions on bracing an old leaning wall from the inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

The back wall on our out building is leaning at an angle of about 4 degrees. The wall is free standing, very old (200-300 years) about 2.5m long, 1.5m high and probably with no/little foundation. It has been moving for over 100 years (talking with neighbours). It is not tied into the walls on either side and doing so isn't really possible.

The pitched roof is off at the moment just leaving the frame there. This just sits on the wall.

You can see where attempts have been made in the bast to brace it to the side walls, but this has just pulled more bricks away at the sides.

The problem is due to what is behind the wall we can't rebuild it. We can get to the back but only have about a 20cm space.

The floor inside is solid concrete.

We were thinking of a way of bracing the back wall to vertical beams running parallel to it inside. So kinda making a new wall structure inside and bracing the back wall to that. Tying the vertical beams to the concrete floor and the wood ceiling structure and then drilling through the back wall and vertical beam and putting a brace through it.

Extra support to the roof will also be added.

Can anyone think of any reasons why this may not work, better ways of doing it or any commercial products that could help?

Thanks,

Sam :)

Sponsored Links
The back wall on our out building is leaning at an angle of about 4 degrees.
Is it leaning into the building or away from the building. I assume it's leaning away.

The problem is due to what is behind the wall we can't rebuild it. We can get to the back but only have about a 20cm space.
You can rebuild it by finishing off the outer by working 'overhand'. i.e. leaning over the wall from the inside as you rebuild.

We were thinking of a way of bracing the back wall to vertical beams running parallel to it inside. So kinda making a new wall structure inside and bracing the back wall to that. Tying the vertical beams to the concrete floor and the wood ceiling structure and then drilling through the back wall and vertical beam and putting a brace through it.

If I understand you correctly, you are hoping to restrain the wall by tension, rather than compression.
I'm no SE but my guess is that it will take some reasonably hefty steel to do this. And you'll need to access the outside to fix the restraints.

You really need to bite the bullet and pay for an SE to have a look at it.

An old wall like that, probably of lime mortar construction is going to be difficult to brace due to its flexibillity and you need to address the actual cause

If you restrain the top, then it will bow as the middle bit carries on moving.
If you brace at various locations, then bricks at those locations may be restrained and the rest of the wall carries on moving

You need it assessed and a suitable solution devised

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all your replies.

Yes the wall leans outwards.

I think I will be getting some SE quotes today and take another look at getting someone in to demolish it. Sounds like getting an SE to devise a solution and then implementing that is going to out way getting a professional to demolish it and have it rebuilt.

The original reason for not being able to demolish it is the neighbours behind have the worlds biggest, immovable decking thing next to the wall. I am sure an expert could dismantle it from the inside without it falling backwards though.

Have you talked to them and explained your predicament?
It wouldn't take much to provide a temporary bracing, while the demolition takes place. This could also provide some protection to your neighbour's decking and/or stop falling stones from damaging the decking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back