vaulted and hipped roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys ... this is my first append to what seems to be a useful forum. Hope that you can help me with a issue relating to the design of the roof for a small single storey extension.

I am in the process of drawing up the plans for a small 4.5 x 3.5m single storey extension which is intended as a family room. Details are as follows

- East facing .. abuts to house
- South facing .. glass (wooden frames with double windows) apart from pillars at either side.
- West facing ... solid block/brick cavity wall
- North facing .. 1/3 abuts to house, 2/3 block/brick wall with window
- 4.5 dimension runs N-S
- Pitched roof (30 deg) to run N-S
- South pitched end to be vertical
- Roof to be hipped at N end i.e. slopes to E,W and N with a vertical section and small window up to ridge height on N face (reason for the hipped roof at the N end is to join in on N and E with the house which is a 'cottage style' with eaves about 3.5m above ground level).
- Roof to be totally tiled apart from N face vertical section and window

I reckon that I can figure out how to do most of this and draw up structural plans for everything up to roof level.

However, what I am unsure about is the best way to brace the roof so that that weight of the roof does not apply a spreading pressure to the walls on W and N sides. Should I have bracing timbers (or steel of some sort) at eaves height or part way up the rafters ? How many braces will be required ? I assume that E-W braces will be required but will the N walls needs to be braced ? Could I get away without braces and a steel frame ? How does one go about designing such a roof ? Or should I bite the bullet and see an architect or structural engineer ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Sponsored Links
Bite the bullet and get a struct eng, will be about £300 for some sketches and calcs which building control will likely demand from you anyway.

If i am picturing it right, then the majority of the roof is lean-to, no?

If this is the case then the pitching plate/pole plate (bolted to the wall), will counter spread.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys ... I think that I will take 'freddymercurystwin' advice and get a structural engineer involved although I am still of the mentality that it should be able to do it all myself given enough book and web reading.

I am still interested in how to solve this problem and in response to noseall's append, the roof is not a lean to (sorry but it is hard to describe in words).

Image a rectangular building 4.5m x 3.5m with a roof which slopes from a 1 metre ridge in all 4 directions. Now lift up one of the 4.5m ends so that the ridge extends to the front of the building. We now have a roof which slopes in 3 directions : one side which joins into a valley gutter against the house wall and the other two sides which end on block/brick walls.

Apart from a small window on one end, the roof is completey tiled and I would like it to be vaulted and as open as possible (fully insulated to current BS, of course).

Actually, just found this on the web which contains a picture of a roof which is very close to what I want ... http://quick-calcs.net/designs/vaulted-roof-p-32.html

These folks seem to offer a reasonably priced service and they do mention a ring beam as one solution.

As a matter of interest, would a ring beam have to be steel and could it just replace the usual wall plate timber ?

Comments anyone ?

Ron

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back