Renovating the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys.

I am looking at renovating the bathroom.
It currently has tiles in a pyramid shape, that have been painted over.

How easy is it to remove and retile the bathroom.
Will I need to re-plaster if I am careful in removing the old paste?
Is a wallpaper steamer the best way to remove old adhesive?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Impossible for us to predict how well your tiles are secured, may fall off , may be a pig of a job, but any damage can be repaired.Steamer will be of no use, unless the tiles are on wallpaper?:unsure:

Impossible for us to predict how well your tiles are secured, may fall off , may be a pig of a job, but any damage can be repaired.Steamer will be of no use, unless the tiles are on wallpaper?:unsure:

Hey.
Having had a look the other day I know some tiles are on there way off. also they are not on wallpaper. I read a bit on the Internet and someone mentioned it may be easier to help pull with the left over paste after the tiles are already off.

Thanks

As foxhole says, you can't tell how well they'll come off until you start - they might come off with the old adhesive stuck to the tiles, or stuck to the wall, or might take some plaster (or plasterboard) with them. Try to use something flat to remove them, like an old plastering trowel/float or similar. Course reduction paper will sand off the old adhesive residue left on the walls.

Sponsored Links
If you have a solid wall with decent plaster then the tiles should just knock off with a hammer and chisel. It will also depend on how well the tiles were fixed in the first place. If you have a plasterboard wall you will find that the board will break easier than the tiles. In this case it's easier to remove all the board and replace with new. In fact if the area is in a shower or bath, you could use backer board instead.

Thanks for your response guys.

I plan to start the project in a few weeks. I will try to take the tiles off neatly using a wallpaper scraper. Failing that, I will see what damage a hammer and chisel does.

Wish me luck :D

I don't fancy your chances with a scraper, try a bolster and hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back