Renualt Laguna - Hottering/Starting Problems/Fuel Issues

qc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've used the site for a good while now for information on gutting my house but my more pressing job is my old car :confused:

Here are the info....

1998 1.6 Laguna S Reg

A couple of months back I was leaving my house one night and when I turned the key it was just making a clicking noise. We immediately thought it was the starter motor and how big a job it would be. Push started the car and got to my parents house. Started a few times with no problem so went to bed.

Next morning same thing, click click. So, decided to try and jump start off my brothers car. Started no problem so thought, battery.

Bought a new battery but noticed that there was not the usual crackling an sparking when connecting the 2 terminals and have noticed this since. The old battery is in my garage and is not faulty.

Only once in the last month has it clicked and I noticed that if I kept the key fully turned for a second or two longer it eventually turned the engine and away I went.

Most mornings the first 1/4 mile the car hotters and feels like it is firing on 3 cylinders. After that it runs ok although I have noticed that it idles a little on the quirky side!

Other thing I have noticed is that instead of the normal 400+ miles to a full tank I only seem to be getting to about 370 and the warning light comes on.

I'd welcome any help :D

Sponsored Links
Why would the car hotter, start when jump leads are attached and have a reduced fuel efficiency if it were just the ignition switch?

I noticed that if I kept the key fully turned for a second or two longer it eventually turned the engine and away I went.

It's just that you said the above. And I thought it might be the contacts at the back of the switch starting to burn out. I'm not saying it is that because without seeing the car it's hard to diagnose.

Sponsored Links
I noticed that if I kept the key fully turned for a second or two longer it eventually turned the engine and away I went.

It's just that you said the above. And I thought it might be the contacts at the back of the switch starting to burn out. I'm not saying it is that because without seeing the car it's hard to diagnose.

Agree with stivino here, but it seems you also have another problem as well as the switch, get your switch sorted out, then sort your "missing?" problem.

May be wiser to do the"missing" first.

Well, finally got one issue fixed....

It was a starter motor that finally died last week.

That leaves the issue of hottering and fuel consumption which now seem linked together. Pretty much at the same time the hottering started I noticed that the fuel consumption went from 450 miles on a full tank to around 380.

While in getting the starter motor fixed they hooked the car up and did an emissions test and it failed by a mile!

CO MAX = 0.3 ACTUAL 7.4
HC MAX = 200 ACTUAL 304

It will need further investigation before the next MOT if not long before but any ideas? A possibility thrown up was a faulty coolant sensor.

Any thoughts out there :)

Back