Repainting Composite Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have one of those modern composite front doors that is solid wood on inside and PVC on the outer faces.

It's currently Black, but very worn and damaged and we want to repaint it Black again.

Am i correct that i will need to give it a good clean and then paint with a B-I-N Primer first and then paint over the primer with a thin coats of external grade black paint?

I was thinking of spraying, but someone else said i should use paintbrush and not spray.

Also, does anyone recommend what paint i should use for the Black?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't use BIN on external work, it's too brittle. You say it's damaged, does it need filling?, if so use a suitable filler, Toupret do decent ones. Give the door a thorough clean, meths is great for this, and then apply two coats of Zinsser allcoat exterior, water based, it comes in gloss and satin, is self-priming, dries quickly (great for front doors) and it sticks to absolutely anything.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The door doesn't really need filling. Just a really good clean and has minor shallow scratches.

I will get a tin of Zinsser allcoat exterior Black Satin from Screwfix.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back