Repair broken plastic underground drain pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for this long post!

My neighbour in the process of digging for his pond put a hole straight through the plastic surface water drain pipe that runs from the back of my garage (on his prpoerty) - as far as I know it's gone right through the pipe top and bottom as it was a rather large pry bar they used to try and get rid of this unwanted obstruction!

Now I know I should just tell them to get it sorted, but as he thought it was fine to let rainwater just run into the ground (2 foot from my garage foundations) I am going to sort this myself as at best it'd be a bodged repair if I leave them unsupervised.

I'm fairly happy that I could cut out the section of pipe and graft in a new bit using two double ended connectors and a bit of pipe. However from the top the hole is only about an inch across, and so I was wondering if this is the extent of the damage below if there was an easier way to repair it? Otherwise I'll have to expose a foot or so either side of the hole to effect the plan A repair won't I? Is there something easier to graft in a section, somthing all in one so to speak?

When I thought theyd only pierced the top I was looking at these epoxy patch or compression tape type solutions - would they hold up over time or am I right to think that it should be replaced with new pipe?

Also I have a Bosch PMF Multitool with fine blade (says it's for PVC) so I was hoping to use that to cut out the broken bit - would that be OK - is pipe likely to be too brittle to cope with that?

I presume I should also ensure that the shingle is put back under the pipe to allow for any earth movement?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Clean pipe, then get a flexseal coupling of appropriate size, slit it lengthways, and slip that over the damaged area covering the hole, putting cut at the bottom of the pipe. Undo both jubilee clips, pass round pipe and reconnect, before tightening them.

Will save some digging and messing around grafting a new section of pipe in. :)

Is it just me?

Its your garage? Thats built on YOUR land?

But the rainwater drain from it is taken across your neighbour's land?

The drain has no permission to be there???

It goes to an undisclosed location???

You blame your neighbour for the damage?

You seem to expect he is responsible for damage to a pipe which has no legal right to even be on his land!

Has the world changed while I was asleep last night?

Tony

Hey that's the way the developers built it. My garage actually forms part of his boundary and the hole is about 2 foot from it. There are no doubt other people's rainwater pipes on my land as I have some of the inspection chambers on my property so they run in there. I wouldn't ram a metal rod through it if I'd already exposed it I'd probably dig round it if I wasn't sure but then maybe I'm nuts. Besides I'm sorting it and I had even offered to help dig the pond.

Flexseal - would this do if pipe is holed top and bottom?

Sponsored Links
Is there no reference to wayleaves for these pipes on the deeds?

Didn't you warn the neighbour that your drainage pipe ran that way?

A Fernco rubber coupling can cover up and waterproof a hole of 50mm with no problems.

Tony

To be honest I didn't know beforehand but like I say I know if you see something round and that colour in the ground then it's usually got a purpose. Lifting my head and looking at my garage I think the penny would have dropped smartish. Oh well...

Thanks for that will have a google for that. I'd tried pipe repair etc but only patches had come up. Brand / product names very useful cheers!!

A pond 2 ft from your garage? How deep is this pond? :!:

Fairly small - it's a preformed liner less than 3 ft deep in the centre, about 1 foot around the upper "tier"

The edge is perhaps now 3 foot away as there is an obstruction (the cracked pipe) quite where they wanted it!

I've been looking at the flexible couplings - so to get that on I'd have to cut it - if I cut it at a point where there is no damage would it work if there was say a 1 inch hole top and bottom?

Or shall I just cut that section out? Will it be easier then with 2 flexible couplings and a small new bit of pipe, or shall I just get 2 rigid double end couplings? The flexible ones look a bit shorter so less pipe to expose to get on?

Drains running across neighbouring property is a common occurance. Builders will lay drains to take the shortest/easiest route, they're not concerned with boundaries.

The Flexseal/Fernco coupling will do, just put the cut at the side. (Theres no pressure in drains (unless blocked!), doubtful it'll ever leak. Can fit a new section of pipe if you prefer, either use 2 Flexseal couplings, or the rigid versions, but either purchase at least one 'slip' coupling or remove the centre stop from a standard coupling to make a slip coupling.

Sorted it. Thanks for all the advice.

They'd done a good job. When uncovered the small hole in the top turned out just to be the entry hole. Theyd gone right through and the exit hole in the bottom also had cracks round it. Ended up cutting out about a foot of pipe in the end to get sound ends. As it was a bigger gap I used the rigid couplers turned 2 into slip covers by knocking out the little notch things.

Cheers for the advice again.

Is it just me?

Its your garage? Thats built on YOUR land?

But the rainwater drain from it is taken across your neighbour's land?

The drain has no permission to be there???

It goes to an undisclosed location???

You blame your neighbour for the damage?

You seem to expect he is responsible for damage to a pipe which has no legal right to even be on his land!

Has the world changed while I was asleep last night?

Tony

It is quite common for pipes and cables of all types to run across other peoples land.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back