Repair drain - how please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
I need to repair this, which drains the water from the kitchen sink and dishwasher. The horizontal section of pipe ? clay ? seems to be too short to deliver the water into the drain and there is a void underneath it.

I think I need to remove the horizontal clay section and replace it with, possibly, plastic pipe on a bed of cement or pea shingle and cement around the top edge. Is that correct? If so what size replacement pipe do I need and would I put it on cement bed or pea shingle. There if a metal square grate that sits on top of the drain.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mutley56

Attachments

• CE1F5B53-5273-4652-B139-07D73C26E721.jpeg
    CE1F5B53-5273-4652-B139-07D73C26E721.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 109
  • D7094FDC-C092-49AF-9D1D-9CBB8BDB24EE.jpeg
    D7094FDC-C092-49AF-9D1D-9CBB8BDB24EE.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Nige F.

That‘s great advice. I was really overthinking things.

thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dereekoo.

I have a tub of blue circle ready mixed mortar powder I can use.

mutley56

just to confirm, What size pipe do I need for the extension? Solvent welded?

thanks. Mutley56

40mm solvent weld at a guess, looking at your photo.

I would also poke a rod into the 'void' to see how big the hole is, as the water leaking down there over the years could have made a large void by washing away the soil/fines.

Mr Chibs,

it was indeed 40mm pipe, thank you. I did the job this afternoon as needed the kitchen sink up and running again. I will address the back fill with mortar tomorrow if it stops raining.

mutley56

No need to touch the clay/ cement area - just make the plastic waste pipe longer and take it down into the gulley stopping above the water level - and fit a new plastic gulley grid with a cut out for the pipe (y)

The water level in the gulley looks a bit high, might it be blocked?

Hi HB,
I now understand that this is a gulley. Water drains from the sink easily and the level in the gulley doesn’t change, and so I don’t think there’s a blockage.
thanks for comment though.
mutley56

There’s a crack in that clay/earthenware too, perhaps use some of the cement for that too?

CBW,
Is that a matter of forcing some mortar into the cracks?
mutley56

Chris,

forgive me, do you mean follow the shape of the cracks or cover the entire surface of the pipe?

Just cover the cracks following the shape of the pipe, if that makes sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back