Repair or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I run a Worcester Greenstar HE boiler which was installed back in 2002. This provides hot water on demand and heats 11 rads. Other than an electrical fault in 2005 it's been a good little runner, that is until recently.
I've noticed that the pressure gauge when the system is cold is at zero. This jumps up to an operating pressure of about 1.5 bar when the CH is on. Sounds easy right? It's the expansion vessel. Either it wasn't topped up on the last service or the bladder has burst. So I can check via the Schrader valve if there is pressure and if water is crossing the diaphragm, but there's more to it than that. I'd expect the boiler not to run once the pressure dropped below about 0.5 bar yet it sparks up on demand and the rads heat as expected. If I fill the system to 1.0 bar when cold it returns to zero by the end of the next heating cycle.
There are a number of other rattles and rumbles emitted from the boiler as it sparks up and during heating, but other than that it seems to be working fine.
So back to the subject line, should I be looking to investigate this issue with a view to repair or does the age of the boiler suggest a replacement would be a better use of time/cash?

Sponsored Links
perfectly serviceable and your expansion vessel needs pressurising

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back