Repair Plastering Cracks - Cheap and Easy method?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had our entire flat freshly plastered a couple of years ago, but pretty much every room now has hairline cracks. The worst ones are probably in the ceiling. But even still, they are not terribly deep.

I've seen a few youtube videos which advise making the crack deeper first with a scraper so filler can really be pushed into the crack. I don't really like the idea of this and they are not too deep to be begin with. So I was wondering if they can simply be filled with filler, smoothed out then simply painted? Or I've read something about special paintable caulk?

Also do you guys have a trusted filler/paintable caulk for hairline cracks brand you use which gives good results? Could you please share which one? (I'm in the UK).

Please see photos attached.

Many Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20211123_105344.jpg
    IMG_20211123_105344.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20211123_105316.jpg
    IMG_20211123_105316.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20211123_105239.jpg
    IMG_20211123_105239.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sometimes, you can "get away with" simply painting if the cracks are indeed very narrow / hairline.

Ken

they’ll crack again . unless you use a flexible filler.

they’ll crack again . unless you use a flexible filler.

thanks both. Can you recommend a specific flexible filler? I will try this rather than risk it with just paint. I can purchase it, just needed a little help with the exact filler I should be going for. Ideally from an accessible store like Wickes or B&Q

Sponsored Links
Hi, I take out with a sharp blade making a clear "V" shape (use the blade side both sides of the "V". Daunting as then looks much worse.
Then a tube of "Instant Plaster Filler" from Screwfix, you'll need an application gun. Squeeze the filler along and push deep and back (I use cheap flat scraper blades), I work backwards so to keep pushing in... but it can dry so keep your blades clean.
Be patient, if deep don't try to do it in one hit. Once fully dry you can sand and/or fill more and then repeat etc.
I have used many types but this and indeed the simple filler available from the pound shops have done well... but whatever you use, as others have said it must be a flexible type.
As with most things, be patient and perhaps best to test in a less obvious area.

Hi, I take out with a sharp blade making a clear "V" shape (use the blade side both sides of the "V". Daunting as then looks much worse.
Then a tube of "Instant Plaster Filler" from Screwfix, you'll need an application gun. Squeeze the filler along and push deep and back (I use cheap flat scraper blades), I work backwards so to keep pushing in... but it can dry so keep your blades clean.
Be patient, if deep don't try to do it in one hit. Once fully dry you can sand and/or fill more and then repeat etc.
I have used many types but this and indeed the simple filler available from the pound shops have done well... but whatever you use, as others have said it must be a flexible type.
As with most things, be patient and perhaps best to test in a less obvious area.

Thank you. This is exactly the level of response I was looking for. I'll give it a go this weekend. Cheers

The corner of a sharp flat screwdriver blade works better for me to make your ‘v’ and less likely to cut through the scrim tape behind if there is any.
Just saying(y)

Wider cracks do need to be scraped out to a V then flexible filler used, but for the fine hairline ones, try just paint. I just apply several layers where the cracks are, deliberately forcing it into the cracks by painting across them repeatedly, until level, but thinning the paint edges out around the sides. A final finish coat and the cracks will be invisible.

An alternative, is to do the entire wall(s) with lining wallpaper, then paint. Some people advise to always use lining paper, irrespective of the condition of the plaster. It can make for a much better finish once painted. Lining paper comes in several thicknesses, the thicker ones able to hide more serious problems.

The job I am currently working on has the same problem. I raked out each of the cracks. Brushed in PVA. Let that dry, then gunned in some Toupret Fibacryl (it is a caulk with reinforcing fibres). I let it shrink back and the following day I fill them with filler.

Sometimes, I just brush the PVA in (and not use the caulk product) if I can't hear any hollow points.

Its always best practice to try to find the cause of the cracking esp. so soon after freshly plastering.
If you dont know why its cracking then it might occur again after your repairs in another year or two.

Its always best practice to try to find the cause of the cracking esp. so soon after freshly plastering.
If you dont know why its cracking then it might occur again after your repairs in another year or two.
It’s a good point , could be just that it dried too quickly in the first place .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back