Repair/Replace Artex

• Thread starter bob-the-builder
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Can just the bad areas be repaired or does the whole ceiling need to be re-done in one go to get a good finish?
Unlikely; any join & the difference in texture will be visible & anyone with a trained eye will spot it a mile off.

Is this an easy DIY job to get a good finish first time for someone who has never artexed?
Getting an acceptable stipple pattern is fairly easy first time around on a flat ceiling (I was doing it before I could plaster :LOL: ) & it’s basically why the stuff was invented but Artex over Artex will look awful, just like the total bodge it is really

Also I may consider getting someone in, so roughly how much are we talking for a tradesmen to repair or replace a small area that's say roughly bathroom size?
As above; an Artex repair & any join line will almost certainly be visible so unless this isn’t a problem, you need to start off with a flat surface & re-do the lot. You could overboard, tape & give the stipple brush a go DIY but, given that Artex is now about as fashionable as farting at a dinner party, the best option if the ceiling is still basically sound is to get it re-plastered (over skimmed) flat & leave it at that; unless you like farting at dinner parties that is. :LOL:

Possible cost is difficult without knowing sizes or seeing it; boarding out (use 12.5mm not 9.5mm) & DIY will basically be the cost of materials. Over skimming even the largest of ceilings by a good spread won’t take more than a day - cost no more than £200 + materials which are reasonably cheap; some may do it "all in" for that.

bob i was round an old mates house a few years back where i watched an artexer patch this stipple pattern in and after mate had painted it you couldent see the patch, the method he used was to brush some artex on the area to be patched and let it pick up (this is so the artex is now level with the rest of the artex and less likely to see the join)after it has picked up brush some more artex on top and this time go over the join by about 6in all round and then stipple it , once painted it was hard to notice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back