Repair / replace flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks!

Brother has a 1940's [I guess] semi with a rotten floor in 2 adjoining ground floor rooms - the cause seems to be the underfloor ventilation which has been seen to. The rot has got into the T&G boards, the joists and [dwarf] wall plates??? [The timber capping the walls on which the joists rest]

Some seems to be salvageable - sprayed to kill any surface rot and given the underfloor dries out and stays dry.

Questions:-

1 quarter [full room length] of the floor has been replaced by the previous occupant - now an opposite quarter needs replacing - in a 3 x 3.8 m [approx] room, is it best to replace it all regardless of what seems ok?

Either way, the current repair is using CLS timber, is this ok for wall plates and joists on dwarf walls - approx 1.2 meter between centres - the intention is to replace size for size with the original. Or should I be looking for another specific name/cut/cure type of wood?

The current plates are resting on Damp Proof Membrane - this I will replace. Is this usually sufficient?

Is WBP ply a preference over T&G boards or does it really not matter.

Anything I may not have considered?

Phew!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back