what does tanalising protect against woodworm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to rip out my dining room floor (floorboards, joists and wall plates) thanks to the ravages of the wicked worm.

I've replaced the wallplates and joists with tanalised timber, then I thought, hang on a minute, I'm sure tanalising is only rot protection, so I bought woodworm fluid and sprayed them with that. Did I waste my time?

Sponsored Links
Did I waste my time?

Yes and no really.
tanilising as far as I know will protect from worm as well as rot, poison is poison basically and I've never seen or heard of treated timber like this being attacked by worm.
Even if this is not the case it will help as I've always been taught that timber affected by rot is more redially attacked by worm, must be softer on the poor mites teeth :D
and the no part- it is recommended to treat cut ends so you are at least following good practice, either way I wouldn't worry.

It depends what treatment was used. Many people use "tanalised" as a generic term for any wood preservative

Tanalith comes in several grades, but IIRC, all protect from insect attack

Sponsored Links
iirc that all depends on full cell treatment or just dipped,but yes good practice to treat all cut ends,even when i used to work in the preservation industry and carried out rot repairs we still sprayed ALL timbers etc with the correct chemical.

also make sure you have adequate sub floor ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back