Repair/replace 'Mock Tudor' detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is about 18 years old, we moved in just under 2 years ago. It had been a bit neglected prior to us buying it so whilst we were concentrating on the interior we got a Decorator to repaint the exterior.

The decorator mentioned that some of the Mock Tudor was beginning to deteriorate but that it wasn't in too bad condition - looks ok from a distance.

Now that we have (almost) finished the inside we are looking again at the exterior. To be honest I am not a big fan of the Mock Tudor look but I am finding it difficult to visualise the house without it - I think it would look a bit bland, so I am considering my options to update/improve the look. I am thinking along the lines of retaining the Tudor beams but reducing the number if possible to give it a less cluttered look.

Someone on the estate has just had theirs replaced with plastic beams and to be honest it looks a bit cr*p, so if I proceed as planned I would want the beams replaced with timber - I am thinking of tanalised wood for longevity however I am uncertain who to contact regarding getting this done (not DIY - too old and not good with heights) should it be a joiner/carpenter or a general builder?

Appreciate any help, I have included a picture for context. Thanks

Attachments

• Opera Snapshot_2020-10-30_110023_www.google.com.png
    Opera Snapshot_2020-10-30_110023_www.google.com.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 352
Sponsored Links
Probably a joiner. Looks like access might require something like a cantilever scaffolding tower. You might want to consider Acoya timber for the replacement - not cheap, but extremely durable

Tanalised softwood should do you for at least 25 years, normally much longer. Tanalised is the green colour, not just normal treated which is brown.

Then stain it. And ensure they treat all the cut edges with end grain preservative.

This timber will be rough and look better than straight smooth planned timber. But if the edges are chamfered, this not only looks better still but helps prevent water standing the top edge, and so prolongs life.

Yes normally a carpenters job, but a general builder with competent carpentry skills could do it. The trick is in getting the joints to look tight, not just butted up to each other only to open up later.

Sponsored Links
If you are not keen on the mock Tudor why not just remove it and then render and paint in a colour of your choice.

I think that would look fine provided you pick the right colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back