Repair to suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a suspended floor that needs reparing and would be grateful for some advise

The suspended floor was sagging in the corner and I removed the lamonate to expose the floor boards. See photo. The floor boards are rotted and the joist underneath. I'll need to replace them and treat the wood for fungus and insects.

A little along from this corner, the floorboards (surprisingly) turns into a large brick and then concrete floor. All at floorboard level. See photo. I guess this was the old hearth
for the fireplace. The fireplace was removed years ago.

What to do??

Should I leave the brick and concrete in place. Should this be at the floorboard level, as opposed to under the floorboards. Any idea what the purple is around the brick

Many thnaks
Floor 1.jpg
Floor 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Stevecc, good evening.

Looks as if you have a wet rot problem in the timber floor and possibly the joists?

The attack does not appear to be recent? could have been on-going for some time? Even the nails in the flooring have become rusty.

What age is the property? possibly Victorian??

Any chance of an image from further back showing the corner and the old hearth?

As for the old Hearth to the fireplace? the Purple "brick" may well be an infill of a coloured screed???

Back in the day the Hearth did not need a Damp Proof Membrane because any ground water rising through the hearth would be vaporized by the heat from the fire blazing away merrily in the fireplace, now we do not have open fires hearths at ground level often give damp problems in the surrounds to the old hearth.

Suggest? you start by lifting the [obviously] rot damaged flooring, check for ventilation under the floor? and see if there is any build up of debris in the area of the corner?

Consider if possible installing an air brick in the immediate area of the wood rot damaged area of flooring?

KenGMac thanks for your reply

I will take a photo of corner and hearth combined and post. I suspect there are two hearths in the room, as the room was knocked into one and chimney breats removed before my time. Building is circa late 1920's early 1930s

I am going to lift the floor boards and see what's underneath.

We moved in a 6 months ago. We found all airbricks mostly blocked when we moved in. There is one air brick next to the corner in the photo, which has now been unblocked. Also going to install some more air bricks.

Not sure what to do with the hearth.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back