Repairing a crack in exterior wall (cost for a builder?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our gable end has an inactive (as far as I can tell) crack in the gable end. It's a bit of an odd construction...

There are single-story 'outbuildings' with a flat, concrete roof on the side of the house; that roof is embedded into the gable wall half way up it. I think it is just embedded into the outer wall. The outbuildings are shared between us and our neighbour.

On our landing is a side window, above the flat roof. The crack runs from the bottom corner of that window, a little diagonally away from the window and down to the flat roof. About 1.5m long.

The crack goes through some bricks, which will need replacing, and otherwise through the mortar joints which will need at least repointing. When the wind drives rain against that wall (I guess) the cracks let water into the wall cavity and this ends up making its way into the outbuilding where the underside of the flat roof goes into the outer wall. So we get drips from that top corner/edge.

I think some of that was exacerbated by our neighbour's steel window lintel in the outbuildings rusting over the years. This lifted the concrete roof a little, cracking the mortar under the roof where it goes into the gable wall and letting the water get through underneath it. The lintel has been dealt with.

I'm wary of tackling this myself even though in principle it seems 'simple enough' - I have no useful experience of real brickwork beyond a little garden building.

Could anyone give me just a clue as to what this is likely to cost? I was going to put the job on those 'post your job' websites but they all want to know my budget... I don't have one, but if I had an idea of a reasonable idea of the cost for the job if it's as straightforward as I hope, I could put something in. If it's worse, then at least I have a starting point...

ETA: I'm in Rawtenstall, BTW, just in case anyone wants to take a look :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back