Repairing a cracked brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There is a narrow single layer brick wall at the rear of our garage between the adjoining property and the door to the garden. On the bottom course there is a brick which looks to be cracked all or most of the way through (inside wall is covered but I can poke a thin wire in at least 3 in deep). All surrounding bricks are ok.

It is a few mm wide and I presume I can just fill it with a mortar mix to prevent water getting in, but was just wondering if there are any other products that may be better - I was thinking of something like squirting in a suitable resin to give it a bit of strength?

Prepared to pay a few quid for a tube of something if considered worth the effort ??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
LOL, the universal magic bullet !

Thanks, yes I guess that would indeed seal it up.

Although I'm not particularly worried about the structural strength - the wall doesn't look like its going anywhere anytime soon - but if I'm going to the trouble of squirting silicone, just wondered if there was anything out there that would give a stronger 'repair' ? I haven't got a tube handy so either way I've a trip to buy in something...

The strength of a single brick is immaterial in context of the strength of a whole wall.

But fundamentally, you can never make a cracked brick stronger.

The criteria is to keep water out of the crack, and silicone does that nicely, and unobtrusively if clear.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back