Repairing an Artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago there was a leak in the roof of my top floor flat and water came through the bedroom ceiling. A few people have provided a quote for repairing it, the highest being £500. Surely it cannot cost that much and as it does not look too difficult, so I would like to give it a go myself. Has anyone got any experience with this kind of DIY job?

Attachments

• IMG_4052.JPG
    IMG_4052.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_4053.JPG
    IMG_4053.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_4058.JPG
    IMG_4058.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 758
Sponsored Links
If is is Artex on the ceiling then it wouldn't be easy to match it in. Also you would have to strip the Artex off along the joint that has opened up! So it would be better to "Prep" the ceiling and skim over it and flatten it out.. Ask the boys who quoted you what actually was they going to do to the ceiling.

Ask the boys who quoted you what actually was they going to do to the ceiling.

I beleive they were going to skim the ceiling with 22ct, gold plated plaster. It's a lot dearer than multi finish, but well worth the extra,,,, not!!
£500 is a rip off.

Why not have a go yourself . . . 'cos it's easy peasy lemon squeezy innit.

£500 sounds about right for a proper job.

Of course, if someone were to come along & attempt a cheap repair, you would never be happy with the less than perfect result . . . would you?

Sponsored Links
It's a stipple pattern the easiest to patch , I wouldn't like to chance skimming that artex looking at it from here, as Roy said I would also like to know what the quote invovled

The Artex that it is made of contains asbestos, because I had a survey done a few years ago. A few people who I have asked for a quote have said that they are not interested. I believe a license is needed for any kind of work related objects that contain asbestos. My neighbour who works in health & safety suggested that I could just cover it with epoxy resin and then either paid over it or cover it with stipple pattern Artex.

I cannot find the original paper quote of £500, as it was quite a few years ago. If I remember right they suggested replacing just the cracked part of the ceiling, not the whole ceiling. Still, £500 sounds like a rip off.

BTW, just found the quote, which was actually £600, not £500. It includes cutting out damaged section of the ceiling, fitting new section, skimming ceiling to flush finish, Artex ceiling and painting it with two coates of matt emulsion.

As it's going to take several visits to do that, then the price sounds reasonable; but I'd get someone to skim the ceiling, and then paint it myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back