Repairing damaged paint to a shiplap outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I built a workshop 15 years ago and painted it with Sadolin Superdec. I have painted 1 side of it every year (it's a big shed) in rotation.
and I have been pleased that most of the paint is nice and firm with no problems.
But..
on the front and one side where it's much more exposed to driving rain etc I have a problem with some of the bottom edges rotting and the paint peeling off.
I am in the process of ripping these off and replacing them as I've tried patching them up but it just doesn't work.
The problem seems to be water getting into the overlap and rotting that from the inside.
I had slapped lots of paint up in this joint and mostly this has been ok but obviously not where they are exposed.

I am thinking of using a bead of 'Sealant' along the rebate as I assemble the new boards.
Could anyone suggest a good product to use here please?

I have asked this same question in Carpentry forum but have had no suggestions.
I just don't want to use an inferior product that will crack and have to be repairing it again in a couple of years!
Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
I have asked this same question in Carpentry forum but have had no suggestions.
eh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back