Repairing Interior Trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
just asking around for some advice as to how to sort out some interior double glazing trim (i think it's called quadrant?)
as the attachment shows, i've got sections coming away and want to refix it. someone said i need low modulus silicon to fix it to the frame and some acrylic stuff to fasten to the wall/plaster - bit of a dumb question probably but do i just put both adhesives on at once and push the thing into place or would i fix it to the wall first then squeeze in the silicon to fix/fill between teh trim and frame? also, some of the trime is above the window, is the acrylic stuff pretty fast and tacky? if not, how to i keep the trim in place while it sets?

TIA

Attachments

• window2.jpg
    window2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 138
  • window1.jpg
    window1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
Low modulus, Neutral cure silicone for sticking the trim on and for PVC to PVC joins.
You can use it to seal to the plaster too but it cant be painted over so caulk is is a better choice for there.

The silicone is pretty tacky but will take a few hours to start to set.

Sponsored Links
:-/

"but do i just put both adhesives on at once and push the thing into place or would i fix it to the wall first then squeeze in the silicon to fix/fill between teh trim and frame? also, some of the trime is above the window, is the acrylic stuff pretty fast and tacky? if not, how to i keep the trim in place while it sets? "

As long as both surfaces (wall and trim) are clean then you should be able to stick them in place easily with a good blob of silicone every 100mm or so on the wall then push the trim into it, Assuming we are talking standard 20-60mm trims. If they are 60mm+ you may have to prop the top one with some wood until it sets.

Then you can seal the edges to tidy it up. If your not very good with a silicone gun you can masking tape straight lines first, Seal it, Run your finger over it several times in both directions to take off the excess and then remove the tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back