Repairing internal plasterboard wall in flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the internals plasterboard walls in a flat are damaged by water and I want them replaced, can I hire my own contractor to do it? I understand the plasterboard walls are considered part of the building structure and therefore owned and insured by the freeholder. Being a leaseholder, can I replace the plaster walls without asking? The walls could be stud partitions, or dot and dabbed. The walls could have electrical outlets on them. Would it require involvement of an electrician?

I think I have a share of the freehold. Does this change anything?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Out of blind luck, I managed to have a surveyor to look at the damage for free. To avoid impoliteness, I did not ask him for his credentials. From what he said, repairing the plaster wall through replacement is not an alteration and therefore doesn't need permission from the freeholder or the building regulators. Personally, I would inform them anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back