Repairing plasterboard THEN attaching curtain rail bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to repair this plasterboard hole and then reattach a bracket for a curtain pole? It’s in the middle of bifold doors, so the bracket really does need to go back exactly here.

There’s only a small gap between the plasterboard and the brick, so it’ll be impossible to slip a bit of plasterboard behind it. I did think about just packing it out with bits of timber, then putting a piece of plasterboard in the hole … but it needs to be a secure repair to refit the curtain pile bracket.

For extra fun - the brickwork behind has several “stab marks”. I suspect, over the years, multiple curtain pole brackets have been attached here.

Many thanks for any tips! I’d like to do this job once, properly, and avoid needing to post up any disaster pics.

AE23991D-1AD6-4E88-B89C-457DE261947C.jpeg

Attachments

• 1F5A5C71-D433-45BE-A12D-F640600414FB.jpeg
    1F5A5C71-D433-45BE-A12D-F640600414FB.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Get a multitool, cut the hole square then attach a piece of wood using a couple of wall plugs and screws along with some no more nails or similar in both the plugs holes and the back of the wood.

Then fill and make good the plaster surface, then using appropriate length screws fix the curtain piece into the wood, 25mm screws are probably sufficient when into a solidly attached piece of wood.

Is it possible to repair this plasterboard hole and then reattach a bracket for a curtain pole? It’s in the middle of bifold doors, so the bracket really does need to go back exactly here.

Take a piece of timber, a 200% larger than the hole, but narrow enough to poke inside the PB. Screw it tight behind the PB, with a screw at each end, through the firm PB, finally, fill the hole with filler or plaster and smooth. Once set, you should be able to fix your bracket, through the new plaster, and into the new timber.

Sponsored Links
Tidy up the hole, glue a piece of strong wood to the bricks, fill the hole flush using jointing compound, then attach bracket as normal. There are some very strong construction glues. I have seen their effects but don't know what they are. They are brown when cured. Perhaps a builder can help. The wood should be close to flush with the plasterboard. If you want greater strength, increase the size of hole and wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back