Plugs to replace curtain pole brackets in plasterboard???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm a DIY newbie: I'm replacing curtain pole brackets as our previous brackets have bent under the weight of the curtains. I've removed the old brackets - There weren't any plugs in the wall apart from one very large metal (potentially self-drilling) plug that has left a 10mm hole. The wall behind is dot and dab.

I need some guidance on how to replace the brackets with the following specific questions:
1. Can I reuse the holes from the previous brackets?
2. Which wall plugs would be best to use? Does it make a difference if I reuse the previous holes vs making new holes?
3. Can I use pollyfilla to fill the larger hole and then reuse it? If so, does that change the type of plug I can use?

Thank you so much in advance! :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Personally I'd always go through the plasterboard and into the brickwork.
That way you can use masonry screws, or standard screws and rawl plugs.
This will take a heavier load better.
Some put a batten on the wall and fix into that.

If you can drill deeper into brickwork you'll need a slightly longer screw (oh erh misses :LOL: sorry) and the curtain pole bracket may cover up the original hole.
Or get the filler out, polyfilla, toupret etc.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Use longer screws, and grab some filler, as there is not a lot of width of metal to hide the current holes.

You will struggle to get longer screws thin enough to fit those brackets. They are intended to fit to solid surface.

Thank you so much for all of your messages :) - I am a little confused on what I should do next to help install them..... I've got duoPower 8 x 30 wall plugs and screws which fits through the bracket hole or came across Corefix 100mm Heavy Duty Dot & Dab Wall Fixings. Would any of these be suitable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back