Trouble installing curtain brackets onto a batten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to install curtain brackets onto a batten that's already up above the window however, the screws don't go straight through. Should I
a) drill a hole further into the wall for the screws to go in or
b) drill a larger hole to insert a wall plug or
c) get shorter screws (will it support the brackets & rod?)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't say how thick the batten is but I would suggest you should have at least 1" of any screw into it. It is surprising how strong a short screw is when fixed into timber.
If your batten is thinner that 1" then I would recommend drilling through, just far enough so that you can insert a 6mm(red) or 7mm(brown) plug and use suitable length screws.

You could, as you say, use a 3mm masonry bit through the batten just deep enough to pilot the tip of the screw into the wall.

I presume the batten is solidly fixed.

The batten is about 1.5 cm - the screws 3 cm -well below an inch, if the timber is strong as you say, I'll just try shorter screws.

Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
He was referring to misterhelpfulls post. 15mm will be fine, or last occupier would not have used it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back