securing a curtain pole bracket to crumbly lathe wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've put up the pole 3X now and each time my daughter opens her curtains; crash! One bracket is fixed securely straight to the wall. The offending bracket has been fixed to expanding foam filler (as the hole in the plaster is large) using expandable screws, but still no joy. I want to avoid glueing a wooden baton as think this will just pull plaster away and also make the pole uneven. Also the screw hole size for the brackets is 6mm so can't use any larger screws. Any suggestions????? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the wall is you are fixing too? but you cannot fix anything to foam.If it is lather and plaster then you need to locate timber uprights and fit a timber brace across behind the location for fixing the bracket.Then plaster over the timber.

If lath and plaster (or plasterboard), you can enlarge the hole a bit and then insert a length of timber (say 50mm x 20mm x 300mm) and then position this on the other side of the lath and use this to screw into. It spreads the load along the back of the laths and will hold your curtain pole up. This saves you having to take out a big chunk of wall out to find the timber studs

Its a bit fiddly to position, and you may want to screw through the plaster a bit further from the hole to hold the timber in position. You can then fill the hole and screw head to leave a flush surface before fixing the bracket

But it's unusual if this external wall is just lath and plaster and no brick wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back