Repairing rotten wood filler choice suitability (this one is still open)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please do not duplicate your posts
Hi
I am repairing a garage door, there is rot where one of the hinges is fixed to. I can remove loose parts and apply Ronseal wood hardener, then fill with Ronseal high performance 2 part filler, would this be strong enough? What other options?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Repair care dry flex resin, 4 hour.
Maybe add some wood set in the resin.

Other option is to just glue and screw a new peace of wood to damaged area.

Each door has 2 hinges, at the top and bottom. I decided to put another hinge in the middle and move the bottom hinge by the rotten area up by around 70mm where the wood is sound and fill/decorate the rotted area.

I haven't put hinge in new location on garage door, any clues?

PS, I called Ronseal, they said the high performance filler may crack so that's no option.

Last edited:
Whether "new timber" or "a bit of filler" is the answer depends on how much rot there is. Filler won't be as strong as timber, so the deeper the rot, the more likely it is that you'll need new timber.

Sponsored Links
If you have no choice about where the hinges go, splice a new bit of timber in. Otherwise, move the hinges to a non-rotten bit.

Pics attached
I just had a closer look, the middle core/body of the door is sound, it's only the panels are rotten.
Would decorating the panels with pieces of wood and 2 part filler be OK? The middle body is bearing the weight.
If not, I will move the hinge up.

IMG_6043.jpg

IMG_6042.jpg

Pretty much the hardest place to effect a repair! After repairing I would be tempted to bolt through into a plate on the back in order to spread the load and reduce stress on the repaired section.

I would replace these bits of wood, possibly move the hinge up (if needed), filler on it's own will be waste of time.
You could do as suggested a plate or piece of timber behind the matchboarding.

I've been using this glue to make repairs to some mock Tudor bits and pieces when I couldn't get the correct sized timber, was impressed with the glue.

I will opt to replace the wood, they are t&gs, are they readily available to buy?

Yes, but maybe not at the size you have... will depend on age of your door.

If you have a router, you can make your own, alternatively your local timber place might have it.
Depending on thickness (approx 12-15mm) it might be called 'match board'
Alternatively T&G is what you might be able to use.

My doors planks are beveled as well :confused: yours look the same.

I will opt to replace the wood, they are t&gs, are they readily available to buy?

Can I replace only damaged part of match board or do I need to change the whole length of match board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back