Securing a safe to partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As you can see I'm new to this forum.

I'm trying to secure a safe to a partition wall. The safe will be mounted onto the skirting board of a partition wall. I appreciate its not ideal and concrete would be much better but I don't have the option to do that.

I've used M8 x 75mm coach screws. One of has gone into one of the studs and is pretty solid. The other has just gone into the cavity in the wall and just comes out when tugged on it.

How about if I fill the cavity starting at the back of the stud wall using small amounts of foam filler at a time and build up in layers of 25mm and then fill the final 75mm depth with Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler. Thereby the screw will be driving into the wood filler.

I figured it would need some foam filler to give the wood filler some support. One problem I've found with using things like wood filler to fill deep holes is applying it when it comes in a tube rather than cartridge. Can anyone give me tips on this please?

Sponsored Links
I don't think your method will work as it won't provide adequate holding for your coach screws. Foam filler can't be reliably applied to exact depths, and while wood filler may be OK for holding screws subject to small loads, it won't do much to hold your safe in place.

One way to achieve what you want would be to remove part of the wall (either plasterboard or lath and plaster) and fix substantial noggins between the studs, at suitable centres for fixing your safe. Make good as appropriate, then fix the safe through to the noggins and stud.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there is no way I can do what you are suggesting.

Maybe I should forget the foam filler and just use the wood filler. I appreciate it isnt't going to anchored strongly - I just need it not to wobble when someone tries to move it.

What is the best way of applying wood filler in a deep hole when it comes in a tub not a cartridge?

Many thanks.

You would do better, in that case, to use a hollow wall fixing. Wood filler simply won't help.

However, I don't see the point of fixing a safe insecurely. Anyone who breaks into your home who is tempted to try to remove it will probably succeed very easily, and cause damage in the process. Why not just leave the safe sitting on the floor?

Sponsored Links
As said above, if you cannot secure it properly, then there is little point in having one fitted. One option you may want to consider is drilling through the base plate and fixing into the joists. Another option would be to send me the valuables, and I'll put them in my safe :evil:

HandyHands: I wondered about suggesting securing it to the joists. However, I think this is only viable if the fixing holes are already there. Otherwise, drilling hardened steel is quite time-consuming and difficult work.

Your other suggestion, however, is a good one; I could offer to help, in case your safe is on the small side.

I'm sure we could come to some arrangement over the split of valuables - after all, it spreads the risk over multiple sites.....

I doubt the safe is a decent spec, so probably a few mm of steel to drill though. Most branded safes have the option, as standard, of base or rear mounting - so I'm guessing its a DIY store special.

As said above, if you cannot secure it properly, then there is little point in having one fitted. One option you may want to consider is drilling through the base plate and fixing into the joists. Another option would be to send me the valuables, and I'll put them in my safe :evil:

exactly my thought
but if thats to much trouble ;)

i would suggest you sand down the floor and bottom and back off the safe apply no nails liberaly to the bottom and back screw to the wall then secure screw and glue a 1x1" batton [or whatever will allow the door to open] to the floor tight to the safe front and along the sides this will resist attempts to disloge with all but the biggest hammer

lol if you tell me your address im sure I could help you :evil:

(please dont reply with your address :D

sorry I just couldnt resist. On a serious note, just find a nice concealed broken floorboard or break a little bit up and stash what ever it is under there.

Thats been the safest option for my and my address is no 10 downing street to any who are curious :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back