Repairing screwed cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have driven a small screw through a wire, there was a pop and the circuit breaker tripped.

I left the breakers off and removed some plaster to have a look and it seems I've severed he earth and nicked the neutral. Its a lighting circuit.

Having read one similar posts is it suitable to use one of these on each wire with ratchet crimp to repair?
I saw some videos on YouTube where there is heatshrink included but I couldn't find it on tool station or screwfix . if I get this, a crimper and some heatshrink is it suitable to plaster over it again? The cable is nailed to he wall so there is very little slack.

Thank you for any help, 2 faults in week I'm in for some kind of liability medal haha
https://www.toolstation.com/butt-connector/p95245

Sponsored Links
Forgot the pic

Attachments

• IMG_20201215_140004.jpg
    IMG_20201215_140004.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 252
You need to expose about 150mm fo cable either side to allow space for crimping pliers.

Ideally, if this could be covered by a picture, a 5A semi recessed/surface jb would be an easier option, with less damage - is this feasible

Sponsored Links
That one won't work, try one like this https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AAJB5.html.

Cut the neutral and earth, don't cut the live, ease under cabel terminate top wires in the top and vice versa for the bottom, then fit short pieces of wire between terminals.

If you have to the live,use a small connector for the earths

Edit - you can get smaller jb's, just a matter of looking around

Last edited:
I would peel back the grey sheath carefully to expose the damage, its unlikely all 3 cores are damaged and i would not cut them if there ok, peel more to the left and slide on 50mm of heatshrink, proberly 6:3 will do, if you have some, then with only the damaged cores fit Thru crimps, Red if 1.5mm cable, the 30mm length of these will allow you to remove and bridge the damaged or cut section, then slide the heat shrink back.
Fold the grey sheath back in place were possible, then bind over the lot with tape.
Some people prefer to cut all 3 cores and fit sleeve over the entire lot thats your choice

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your help. I had a trip to toolstation and got a round junction box and a square one. Try as a I might I could just not get the beggars together within the box as there was just not quite enough cable. I managed to do a temporary repair to get the lights back on by taking the connector block out of one of them but I know I can't leave it like that..

If I needed to add a bit more cable whats the correct diameter (not sure if the measurements include the insulation or just the wires?) to use for lights? My plan was to add a short length of cable, use both junction boxes then find a suitably sized picture or similar to hide behind it.

Cheers

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20201215_215524.jpg
    IMG_20201215_215524.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 199
See post no5 above, the jb has 4 terminals, so the 2 top take the top L&N and the bottom 2 take the bottom L&N, you then make up the gap between the two with short bits of 1.5 cable, and put the earths in a separate connector block.

You're welcome, and I can't resist mentioning, if you're drilling a hole for a picture hook, do not drill through the cable.:D

hahaha its sticks like **** for me in future for everything, no more screws in this house!

I am cursing myself as I do usually use a cable finder but it was such a tiny screw to hold some stop bead in place whilst the adhesive dried I thought nothing would be buried so shallow, guess again :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Larry

This will work as a TEMPORARY quick fix until the cable can be replaced

temporary cable patch.jpg

It must be accessible with the use of a tool. It can be fitted in a double back box with a blanking cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back