Extending 12v kitchen lamp - suitable wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some 12v dc / 10w halogen under cupboard lights that have 42 strand cable wired into them (Ikea lamp kit) and want to extend a couple, I am guessing using 42 strand speaker cable will suffice along with either solder/heatshrink joint or crimp butt joint?

Only need to extend a couple metres to a couple of the lamps, rather than relocate the transformer.

Is there a specific LV cable for these things or is 42 strand speaker cable suitable as it looks identical to what came with the lamps?

Thanks.

31n1NGWt9XL.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is there a specific LV cable for these things ...
Someone is bound to tell you, even if I don't - in electrician-speak (the electrical industry), 'low voltage' (LV) a.c. is 50V - 1000V, less than 50V a.c. is 'extra low voltage' (ELV)!
.... or is 42 strand speaker cable suitable as it looks identical to what came with the lamps?
The most important thing is the current-carrying capacity of the cable. You're talking about ~0.83A, so you need a cable rated at, say, at least 1A. The other consideration is voltage drop (important at 12V, since you haven't got many volts to drop!), but with just a couple of metres that probably won't be an issue.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the correction, always good to know these things.

Yes should hopefully not get much volt drop in a couple of metres of cable but will check when in place.

I've also realise I should have said 12v AC transformer rather than dc

Yes should hopefully not get much volt drop in a couple of metres of cable but will check when in place.
Indeed - as I said, that's unlikely to be a problem. However, as I implied, it's clearly much more of a potential issue with 12V circuits. To lose 'a few volts' when the supply is ~230V is neither here nor there, but when one is starting with only 12V, it can obviously be pretty disastrous!
I've also realise I should have said 12v AC transformer rather than dc
I must admit that I didn't even notice that typo. As you will have seen from what I wrote (about LV/ELV), I assumed we were talking AC (the figures for LV/ELV are a little different for DC)!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Another possible consideration is that the transformer output proberly is rated at maximum 2 metres for EMC reasons and sometimes the reason the lights come pre wired with a small plug, to plug into a splitter unit using a star configuration.

Not sure what problems it can cause if exceeded though, think its more to do with transmitting interference

oops, yes john

Another possible consideration is that the transformer output proberly is rated at maximum 2 metres for EEC reasons and sometimes the reason the lights come pre wired with a small plug, to plug into a splitter unit using a star configuration. Not sure what problems it can cause if exceeded though, think its more to do with transmitting interference
I presume you mean EMC. Yes, that is a possibility - although, as you say, it wouldn't affect the functioning of the lights - only the emission of RF interference.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back