Repairing Wood Window Frame With Formwork ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to repair a wooden window frame that has a damaged section running along one face and edge. To get the correct shape to the repair I thought that I could use some type of formwork to get the repair to correctly profile the face and edge and fill in the section using Toupret Murex.

How do I stop the Toupret Murex bonding to the formwork, do I coat the formwork with some oil or similar substance to stop the Murex sticking to the formwork.

I have attached a picture of the window below showing the damaged frame, the window to the right opens so I have reasonable access.

Any advice most appreciated.

Rgds

Sponsored Links
I prefer to use car body filler. You can get 4 litres for less than £20 and it will keep for years.

What I do is screw a few small screws into the damaged area so that they sit below the level of the woodwork. Then apply one lot of body filler to cover the screws and then when that's set do another layer so that it is proud of the woodwork. Then I use a belt sander to sand it perfectly flush and perfectly square. When painted up you can't tell it's not perfect timber. The little screws give the filler something to grip round so it will never come off.

joe-90,

Thx for the feedback.

Would you still use formwork to get the shape? Or, would you avoid using formwork and just build up an overshaped profile with 2 applications of car body filler then sand into shape?

The reason I was going to use Toupret Murex is that I have about 1Kg of it left over from some window cill repairs so no expense. Out of interest, what is the curing time for the car body filler, ie, would I get both layers on in a single day?

Rgds
Jack

I don't find I need formwork - just overfill it.

Car body filler goes off in about 15 mins - sandable in less that 30 mins. I use it all the time for loads of different tasks.

Sponsored Links
I tend to use DecorFill but it's similar. If you have some perspex knocking around you can use use it as a former, just peel it off before before the resin has fully set and it will save some sanding as the 2 part filler does tend to slump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back