Repairs to brick pillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bricks of top 3 courses of pillar at one end of 8ft wall (at bottom of garden) were loose. I've 'lifted' or eased out about 20, plus a few red engineering bricks laid 'brick on edge' on the top of the wall that had also loosened. The frogs (& also the 'mortar') on these top 3 courses seems made of compacted sand, which scrapes off or breaks away fairly easily. Rest of the wall is stable.

It was built by a well-known housing developer 20 years ago, and the top 3-5 courses of boundary brick walls in other places on our estate look less 'professional', as if 'finished off' maybe by an apprentice, or maybe the 'mix' was changed.

My question : could the 'sand' that I am removing be a mix of sand & lime and so a legitimate way of bonding bricks on a boundary wall? If so, then should I replace it with a mix of
sand: lime (presumably 2:1) or should I do: cement:sand:lime (1:2:2) or will a
cement:sand (1:4) mix work (or be too brittle).
Tx in advance for any advice !

Sponsored Links
Sand and cement, not lime - unless you meant to say it was built 120 years ago

1:3 for the coping/capping and the wall below should really match (in colour) the other mortar or it will look odd

Thanks for replying Woody. The 1:3 will make the colour look grey-ish (as there's more cement) won't it ?? But I'll try it .... I also saw a suggestion on this forum to add Everbuild 503 Premium SBR to the mix (as well as 'paint' the brickwork with it first) to reduce the chances of cracking/shrinking & frost damage. Any views on that ?
Also: What do you make of the bonding that is already there, which is basically sand? When loosened up a bit, it can simply be brushed out & I'm collecting it in a bucket & to all intents & purposes, it looks & feels just like sand alone. In 2000 would substantial garden walls (it's 2 bricks thick) have been built like that & passed whatever building regulations may have been in place?? I'm asking, as you reply to a lot of people's queries, & you seem very well informed. Afraid I'm taking advantage of your generosity here ! But mega Tx for your time !

Sponsored Links
... not 'there's more cement' ... I meant to say, 'there's less sand' as the ratio you suggest I should use is 1:3, as opposed to the 1:4 I was thinking of using !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back