Reparing a metal bath edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

We have a metal bath where the enamel on the edge has worn through a little. Replacing the bath isn't an option at this point so we're looking to repair.

I've attached a picture, is anyone able to give any suggestions or tips? You can actually put your nail into the rust a little so it's not just a case of painting.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150906_115755.jpg
    20150906_115755.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,206
Sponsored Links
That looks like the lip of the bath, clean it out scrape away the rust, if you want, treat it with rustoleum, and fill gap with bathroom acrylic sealant

It's on the edge where you might put your foot to dry it, of your hands when lifting yourself out, so yeah, the lip.

How would that work then, the same sealant you'd use to do a bead between the tiles and bath? Surely that would come off quit easily with hands and feet contact?

Not sure if I have understood you correctly?! Thanks!

Not if its done properly flush with the bath lip and panel and left to cure. , has the sealant come off the tiles and edge of the bath ?

Sponsored Links
To show you what I mean, this is a picture showing more of the bath. I guess I'm just thinking a 'soft' finish which silicone sealant would provide worries me a bit, would this really work?

Attachments

• SSBath.jpg
    SSBath.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 756
Thanks foxhole. So with something like that would I just mask off an area I wanted to work on and apply it and smooth it out? - Essentially like polyfiller for the bath, but with it drying hard and (hopefully) blending in?

That sounds good.

A while ago on a different forum (not dedicated to DIY) someone mentioned something called 'Mr Tubby', however, I think it was about 50 quid and seemed quite involved. Does anyone know of that?

Its enamel paint.Treat it with rustoleum as suggested, rust must be removed, remove some of the good stuff to ensure no rust if left.

I thought the rust was between the lip and bath panel, not the edge of the lip, second picture gives better detail

look on amazon there are a number of DIY filler kits that would suit under £20. or contact a local Bath resurfacing firm.

41CgoCP4rKL._AA160_.jpg

Would the stuff foxhole suggested be the same sort of thing you're suggesting? I guess we may as well have a go ourselves and if it fails then get someone in. Cheers

I think you will struggle to repair that successfully it looks like it has rusted through from the inside & I would imagine that if you take he bath panel off you will find you have a much bigger problem than you think ( rather like car bodywork) a new steel bath like that would cost less than £100 quid & if you are prepared to attempt to repair that then you are capable of replacing the bath yourself. I don't think any repair would last long no matter how you tried to do it.

Thanks for the reply, hmm, replacing the bath would probably be quite a task since it has a vanity unit which is basically attached to it which I believe is secured to the floor. There is an area of the rust where I can dig my fingernail into it, but most parts I can't. Is it worth attempting this fix and seeing how it goes? - I'm guessing worse case scenario it wouldn't 'take' and we'd be no worse off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back