Repeated Airlock in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking?

This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since.
It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank seems to be always full of water so no air is getting in there.

The first time it happened, I called a plumber out and he vacuumed out the cold tap until water flowed, I thought that would be the problem fixed. All was good for about 6-7 months and then it blocked up again. Instead of calling a plumber I cleared the air myself, I connected a hose to the mains tap downstairs, and forced water up the bathroom taps, this resulted in lots of air bubbles being forced into the attic tank, and then everything worked OK.

It seems to have become more regular now though, My fix only lasted about 2 months, so I repeated the process again, which worked, but it only lasted about 6 weeks this time. Now I seem to have to repeat it every 3-4 weeks.

I do wait until all the bubbles of air stop going into the tank and run the sink tap / fill the toilet so I am fairly confident all the air is out of the pipes when I finish.

I cannot think as to why it keeps happening. It worked without problem for 10 years previously since I got our bathroom remodelled.

Our toilet is fitted with a bottom entry cistern fill valve, is there any way that this could be faulty? And allowing air into the system? The only reason I mention this is because it seems to be a bit noisier than it used to be when filling the cistern.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the hot water fed from the same cistern, if so, any problems?

Sponsored Links
It may be worth installing a penny (ball) valve on the supply to the toilet cistern, these bottom fill valves have a very high flowrate and it might be creating a syphon effect in the cold feed, I installed one (penny valve) in my mains feed to the toilet as the pressure was falling dramatically while refilling the cistern, it won't do any harm to try it anyway as there is no real hurry in refilling the toilet cistern.

Also check that the CWS cistern is refilling at its normal rate through the ball cock.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back