Replac window with French doors & Damp proofing removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently had a large window removed and replaced with French doors. The house dates to 1929 and there is a clear black/blue brick damp proofing course all around the house. The salesman told me they could not go below this with the doors. No problem. Their surveyor came round and measured up for the doors. Doors were fitted by their workmen but the doors they received took out the brickwork including the bricks that form the damp proof layer. I questioned if this was ok and they said if their surveyor measured the doors to that size then it must be ok.

I am worried that damp may get into the house via the doors at some point? Should the damp proof bricks have been left? Does this contradict building regs? Will it be an issue when we come to sell the house?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Amanda

Sponsored Links
The door cill must be above the dpc or resting on the dpc with mortar.

Thank you for the reply. Does this mean therefore that I am at risk as they removed the DPC bricks completely and the cill is below the rest of the DPC bricks?

Does this mean your dpc bricks are above internal floor level ? where does the cill finish in relation to the inside floor , a pic would be very handy and would give a better understanding of your prob

Sponsored Links
Hi,

What they have done is actually remove the layer of black/blue bricks as the doors they measured up for necessitated that they remove them. So where the double french doors are now, there are no blue/black bricks - they removed them. The sill sits on the first row of bricks above ground level. Around the rest of the house there is a row of black/blue bricks. They are about the 2nd brick above ground level.

Thanks again for your help. Let me know if you need a photo.
Amanda

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back