Replace 1960's knackered pine staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I've got a 1960's semi with the world's loudest creaking staircase. I have tried many things over the years but ultimately it comes down to the fact that most of the wood is shot. It's got cracks through it where previous occupants have smashed various nails and huge wood screws thats has split the stairs and risers into pieces and no amount of remedial work has quietened it down for more than a few weeks. I'm thinking of effectively rebuilding the stairs myself but I'm not sure where to start!

I don't want a repeat of the issue but will be carpeting the stairs so hardwood is overkill. What wood should I be using that's going to remain strong?

Should I be trying to measure and order a complete set or am I better off buying a load of timber and literally spending a few days taking it apart and replicating the parts?

Are things done in a different / better way than in the 1960's now rather than me replicating the same issues?

Thanks

Graham

Sponsored Links
If you're not sure what you're doing, I think you would be better of buying a kit. Getting all the housings right in the stringers is probably fine if you've got experience with a router, but a staircase isn't a project I'd want to be learning that skill on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back