Builder assumed I’m getting carpet throughout…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So did a loft conversion and the builder did the staircase in the way they think it should be done - assuming all carpets in the house, except I’ve stated it clearly that we intend to get wood flooring in the loft.

So the issue is they made the top stair step flush with the subfloor, rather than rise it to be flush with the finished floor.

Now what are my options around the floor & stair joint if we still want to put wood flooring? The stair steps are pine with round noses. We don’t like the look of stair risers either not to mention the cost..

Sponsored Links
You need some appropriate nosing that will cover the exposed laminate edge.

Blup

How well fixed-in is the staircase? Did they order the case to be floor to floor or did you order the case knowing the total rise to be floor to floor+X? I ask because if you ordered the case to rise eg 2520 and the floors are only 2500 then it will currently be installed at a slightly shallower angle than designed and could be adjusted to be correct. Even if it's been ordered as floor to floor, so long as it's not already on the max angle the regs allow it could be reinstalled marginally steeper to give you the extra height you need for the flooring, or you can lift the whole thing up the few mm required; you won't notice either change in practical use

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How well fixed-in is the staircase? Did they order the case to be floor to floor or did you order the case knowing the total rise to be floor to floor+X? I ask because if you ordered the case to rise eg 2520 and the floors are only 2500 then it will currently be installed at a slightly shallower angle than designed and could be adjusted to be correct. Even if it's been ordered as floor to floor, so long as it's not already on the max angle the regs allow it could be reinstalled marginally steeper to give you the extra height you need for the flooring, or you can lift the whole thing up the few mm required; you won't notice either change in practical use
That’s a great tip, thanks! I think they ordered it to be floor to floor. However all is quite fixated now it’d be a real pain to adjust….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back