Replace a conv. boiler + multipoint water heater with combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have the following in our semi...

Conventional Boiler (in the garage)...

Potterton Profile 80e (fitted around 1998)

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/efficiency-tables.php?model=001967

for our central heating and a separate multi point water heater for our hot water...

Main Medway Super (next to sink in kitchen)...

http://www.partsarena.co.uk/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2550/I24-2550/I24-2550.htm

both the above are regularly serviced. The central heating system is initially piped (and returned) to the ground and first floor by 22mm and then branched to 15mm plastic / copper to each rad and return.

All our rads (except the hall which has none) have liquid TRV's fitted and their sizes etc are...

SC = Single Convector
DC = Double Convector
DG = Double Glazed Window / Door.
EW = Exterior Wall

Hall:
Drayton Digistat 3 fitted here.

Rad: 1600mm x 760mm SC. No EW. 1DG. No TRV.
Room Size: 1.1m x 4.5m

Front Room:
Rad: 1600 x 400 DC. 1EW. 1DG.
Room Size: 3.2 x 3.4
Gas fire in room - and used. Flavel Regent.

Lounge:
Rad: 1600 x 400 DC. 1EW. 1DG.
Room Size: 3.2 x 3.6
Gas fire in room and used. Robinson Willy. Firegem Visa 2.

Dining:
Rad: 1600 x 400 SC. 1EW. 1DG.
Room Size: 3 x 2.3

Kitchen:
Rad: 600 x 600 DC. 2EW. 1DG.
Room Size: 3.2 x 2.2

Bed 1:
Rad: 800 x 400 DC. 1EW. 1DG.
Room Size: 2 x 2.5

Bed 2:
Rad: 1400 x 400 DC. 1EW. 1DG.
Room Size: 3.6 x 3.4

Bed 3:
Rad: 1400 x 400 DC. 1EW. 1DG.
Room Size: 3.4 x 3.4

Very large loft, fully boarded and stair cased etc - no rads and not needed as only used as a store (dump).

There is only me and my wife living here now as our three children have long gone. Many of the rads are on their frost setting only as the extra rooms are not used much, apart from storage.

The central heating more than meets our needs and the hot water flow rate and temp seems fine. I measured the flow rate of the cold water coming in and temp and then again of the hot water...

Temp of cold water 6.7c
Flow rate 14 Litres / m

Temp of hot water 45c
Flow rate 10 Litres / m

...providing that I did the above correctly it seems ok...?

I am asking this because I would be unsure on whether the replacement of the two (considering their age and efficiency) would be worthwhile with a newer single more efficient combi boiler..?

I would not be sure if the ROI (return on investment) would be something that would be good considering that what we have works ok but maybe the efficiency of having a single condensing boiler could prove that, running cost wise, over a reasonable time compared to what we have at the moment..?
If so which boiler would be considered suitable for our needs, space would not be a problem when it comes to fitting.

The cost would be that of materials only as our Son is gas safe registered for fitting and servicing domestic properties.
I have read a few posts in this section and realise there is a great amount of experience and knowledge being shared here, hence my posting of this rather than just talk with my Son first as his nature would be just to get on with the job for us rather than allowing us to evaluate the ROI and what it will bring to us over than what we have already.

Thanks for any help.
I hope that I have included enough information in my post for an informed reply :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back