Replace British Gas UP2 with Nest 3rd Gen Theromstat

Lch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - trying to replace my British Gas UP2 with Nest 3rd Gen Thermostat.

Picture of UP2 wiring:

Did the following configuration:
UP2 'N' (blue) goes to Nest 'N'
UP2 'L' (red) goes to Nest 'L'
UP2 'Ground' (yellow/green) goes to Nest 'Ground'
UP2 '3' (HW ON/black) goes to Nest '6'
UP2 '4' (CH ON/yellow) goes to Nest '3'

I am not getting any heating from my radiators. Any thing wrong with my config above?

Thanks in advance,
L

Sponsored Links
For a start sort out that neutral connection. The conductor should be securely fixed under the clamp without any whiskers poking out.

Second, have you linked the Nest Heatlink common terminals 2, and 5, to the L terminal?

Next, do you have / did you have an existing room thermostat before the Nest was installed? If so, have you decommissioned it properly? It cannot just be disconnected otherwise the the heating wiring will be 'open circuit' and will not come on. If the existing thermostat is still wired in, simply turn it to its maximum setting and the Nest will take over control. If you have removed it, or plan to do so, the terminals where its switching wires were connected to, need to be joined together.

Sponsored Links
Next, do you have / did you have an existing room thermostat before the Nest was installed? If so, have you decommissioned it properly? It cannot just be disconnected otherwise the the heating wiring will be 'open circuit' and will not come on. If the existing thermostat is still wired in, simply turn it to its maximum setting and the Nest will take over control. If you have removed it, or plan to do so, the terminals where its switching wires were connected to, need to be joined together.

I still have my british gas wireless WL1 and receiver BR2 intact. Is it better to turn to maximum setting or remove it completely?

Thanks in advance!

Looks OK apart from the missing link between 'L' and the two commons, '2' and '5'. This is clearly shown in the Nest Instructions. I have highlighted it in brown for you here.

Capture.JPG

I still have my british gas wireless WL1 and receiver BR2 intact. Is it better to turn to maximum setting or remove it completely?

To do it properly, a professional would decommission and remove the existing thermostat, but do not just remove it. If you aren't able to decommission it properly and link the wiring out as I described previously, then leave it in place but on the maximum setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back