Replace concrete plain tiles with clay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing the tiles on the roof of a detached bungalow as part of major building works which will see the roof extended. The bungalow was built in 1971 and the existing concrete plain tiles have a gritty finish which moss loves to grow on. A neighbour with the same tiles of similar vintage has had his roof cleaned, but to be honest I don't think it looks very smart at all.

I'd rather use clay tiles, and Hawkins clay plain tile in blue smooth are almost the same size as what's already there (265 x 165 compared to 275 x 167).

http://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Roofing/Clay-Tiles/Hawkins-Clay-Plain-Tile.aspx

I've weighed an existing tile and these clay tiles are actually 9kg/m2 lighter, so the existing trusses and battens should be fine. The slightly reduced headlap (if I don't change the battens) shouldn't be a problem either as the roof pitch is almost 45 degrees.

I'll need to bring the insulation up to meet Part L, but I'm OK with that.

Can anyone think of a reason not to go ahead with clay tiles?

Cheers,
Nomis

Sponsored Links
None, go for it. A man with style and deep pockets.

Plain clay tile roofs look the biz.
Expect a slightly more irregular seating of the clays than the conc's, though this will not detract from the overall 'positive' aesthetics.

+1.
You are fortunate in being able to re-do it in clay tile.
I re-roofed ours some years ago in smooth concrete plain tile - it looks OK(ish) from a distance but I'd sooner have done it in clay any day............. :oops:

Sponsored Links
We just did the same on an extension, we used reclaimed tiles, looks 100% better, cost a few thousand but glad I did it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back