Clay Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we will be getting roof redone as well as dormer built and bay retiled, so just looking into tile types. Think I would prefer clay to concrete given they last longer. Original tiles are same shape as rosemary though they look redder / darker when compared to a brand new rosemary, which looks orange. Do the classic rosemary tiles weather / get darker or will mine simply have been a redder tile originally?

Also, looking at the various brands of clay - are they all considered rosemary or is that just the redland name e.g. is acme the same as a rosemary?

Lastly, any recommendations on a quality clay plain tile brand, which does corners etc?

Thanks in advance; any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Firstly , it's not strictly true clay tiles last longer than concrete.
They do look nicer.
We have stripped many clay brands due to delamination in just a few years one recent was only 6 years old.
Paid for by the manufacturers.
A couple I've had no issues with are Hawkins and Dreadnaught.

I've never stripped a concrete PLAIN tile failure

Firstly , it's not strictly true clay tiles last longer than concrete.
They do look nicer.
We have stripped many clay brands due to delamination in just a few years one recent was only 6 years old.
Paid for by the manufacturers.
A couple I've had no issues with are Hawkins and Dreadnaught.

I've never stripped a concrete PLAIN tile failure

Thanks for the info, what is delamination? I think I prefer the look of clay tiles. Will look up Hawkins and Dreadnaught. What about Marley and Redland?

flaking, We use a lot of clay and slate. and concrete too. Concrete is not my choice of product at all , i was simply pointing out some can fail at an early age.
Marley / Redland/ wienerberger they are all fine usually.
give me a hand made clay or even reclaimed peg tiles any day

Sponsored Links
flaking, We use a lot of clay and slate. and concrete too. Concrete is not my choice of product at all , i was simply pointing out some can fail at an early age.
Marley / Redland/ wienerberger they are all fine usually.
give me a hand made clay or even reclaimed peg tiles any day

Ok thank you, I will get some samples of clay - most seem to be machine made. I presume these brands do the tiles in similar size to original rosemary type as well as corners etc.

They will all be basically the same size., Fittings may vary in shape .

Most of the common older clay products were individual companies, later to be taken over by the big boys.

Ask about product guarantee...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back