Advice on Roof Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I own a 1950's semi detached house which has had a side extension added.
The tiles on the extension are concrete but the ones on the original house are clay Rosemary brindle, these don't look too bad when they are wet but in the dry, they really don't match and I'm told that the concrete tiles will fade in time and will look worse than ever.
I'm in the process of getting quotes for a rear extension and so whilst I have builders in I would like to get these swapped.

Originally I thought I'd just swap the front tiles as the backs aren't really seen, but having spoken to the building inspector, he advised me that this would not be recommended as the difference in weight means that the roof would be loaded unevenly. Is this a valid comment?

I've found some reclaimed tiles which are a perfect match but I was wondering if this is right route to go down?
How long should clay Rosemary tiles last?

My other option is to move the original clay tiles to the rear of the extension and then have all of the front re-tiled. I've sent for samples and the nearest match I have at the moment are Redland blue brindle. Any other suggestions for a match for these tiles, they are a sort of plum/blue colour?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back