Clay v concrete roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello friends
We have a 30,s Dutch barn style house with original clay Rosemary roof tiles. We want a velux to go in the back, the front leaks and a replacement roof will mean we can get insulation in the hip areas which aren't accessible from the loft. Most of our neighbours have new roofs and each one different.
So clay or concrete? That is the question.
Definitely going for smaller tiles which match the original size. I can see the concrete are a solid colour and don't have the shading of Rosemary's. Whatever we do will out live us I expect. I appreciate were looking at extra cost for clay. I'm struggling to see the negatives for concrete.
Thoughts please to help me decide.

Sponsored Links
Concrete is a lot heavier, so your new roof will need uprating. And can the house wall's sustain the extra load?

I thought that but holding the samples I've got they seem the same. I get that argument with slate, but the existing are clay and don't seem different in weight individually.

Clay every time. I replaced ours in concrete plain tile some years ago (Marley Old-English Dark Red/smooth). They look great for a couple of years and then start to go a dirty-brown colour. If I could turn the clock back, I'd have used Rosemary's -stay cleaner for longer.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for that. Colour over time issues is my main concern I think.

Fading, loss of texture and moss and algea growth dont affect clay tiles.

In some cases this early aging can look OK, but not in most cases

Clay every time. I replaced ours in concrete plain tile some years ago (Marley Old-English Dark Red/smooth). They look great for a couple of years and then start to go a dirty-brown colour. If I could turn the clock back, I'd have used Rosemary's -stay cleaner for longer.

agree with Tony, I did exactly the same. I would go with Clay

Clay look far better and you already have them. They can be re-used. If you don't re-use them they have a re-sale value which your roofer may not tell you about.

If you need to replace some then second hand tiles are available.

Concrete "Rosemary" are available but look horrible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back