Replace copper hot water cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought and moved into a studio flat that has electricity but no gas. I want to put in a shower - currently there is only a bath - and I'm wondering whether I should replace the 30-year old vented copper hot water cylinder with something more efficient.

As it's only me living here, I thought there might be a more efficient hot water system than heating a tank full of water for two hours each night when I only need to shower once a day and do my washing up. I am slightly restricted as to what I can do though as it's a Grade II listed building (which is why I'm not getting gas, solar panels, heat pump etc). I've seen four plumbers but they all say different things, so I'm confused about what to do. The three options I've been given have been summarised below - can anyone help me decide?!

OPTION ONE: Leave the copper vented cylinder in place and add an electric shower. PROS: Little installation cost; can still have baths (which I don't do, but it's nice for visitors). CONS: Heating the water to 55 degrees seems like a waste when I have to mix it with cold water when it comes out of the tap; water is being heated up for two hours over night even if I don't use it the next day. Also, the cylinder has a pipe sticking out over the bath for leaks/drips (something like that) and it looks awful! I'm really keen to get rid of it.

OPTION TWO: Replace the cylinder with an unvented cylinder and install a thermostatic shower. PROS: Uses less electricity than having a vented cylinder and electric shower; can still have baths. CONS: I'm told it's not more efficient than my existing vented cylinder; have to pay for annual maintenance; does the water still have to be heated to 55 degrees? could it be tricky to install in a listed building?

OPTION THREE: Remove the cylinder and get an electric shower and 15L instantaneous water heater for the basin and kitchen sink. PROS: One plumber said this is the most efficient option. However, another plumber disputed it, as with a cylinder I could heat the water up overnight on economy 7 and he said with an instantaneous heater, the water would be heating up all the time. CONS: The bath taps would no longer be connected to a water supply. I don't mind this as I only have showers, but could it be a problem when I come to sell the flat in 2-5 years time?

If anyone out there can help me figure out what to do, I'd be very grateful! thank you!

Sponsored Links
I would go for Option One, cheap, just install an Electric Shower,

if you dont use the water in the Cylinder why not just switch the heater off, use kettle for hot water to wash up.

Not sure what this overflow pipe into the bath is, post a picture.

You have not adequately explained to me what you want to spend money for.

Surely the simplest solution is to fit a new mixer tap to the bath with a shower connection.

An electric shower is rarely cheap to fit because they always need a serious upgrade to the electric distribution and that alone usually comes to about £400.

Tony

I was told that I have good cold water pressure but not hot water and that the taps on my bath can't be changed without taking out the bath, which is why thermostatic or electric showers were presented as the only options, and that the shower would have to be fixed at the other end of the bath. I've taken a photo so you can see how the bath is blocked in by pipes hidden behind a box - which we presume feed the flats above.

I've also taken a photo of the pipe from the cylinder sticking out of the airing cupboard and over the bath. The shower would go beneath this pipe.

I need to do electrical work anyway for a number of other reasons, including changing the consumer unit.

I haven't used this forum before so hopefully I've managed to get the photos visible in here!

Sponsored Links
Right, we were not told about that!

So the cheapest option will be to leave everything else and just add an electric shower above the bath.

I can never understand why some plumbers will install things which cannot be maintained!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back