Replace DGU with Insulated Panel - U-Value?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I currently have fully glazed uPVC front door with mid-rail, along with matching side panels, total width 2.1m. In the summer, the hall gets extremely hot. In the winter, it's cold (but this is less of a problem).

I'm looking into replacing the lower panels with solid panels (uPVC-Polystyrene-MDF-Polystyrene-uPVC sandwich). This works out significantly cheaper than fitting "PerfectFit"-style blinds, and has other benefits with post being visible on the floor. Solar film is ruled out due to the glass texture.

Am I likely to notice any improvement? The existing glazing units are mid-90's air-filled, tempered glass, without low-e coating or warm edge. I'm just not sure how good the ~20mm of polystyrene will be compared to the air gap in a regular double-glazed unit. I'm guessing that in any case, the solar gain will be less than a glass + blinds combination.

Sponsored Links
The solar gain will certainly be less and you may well see a slight improvement as less light gets through...just bear in mind modern materials are designed these days to keep the heat in......

Make sure you get panels with reinforcing. Also getting the right shade/make of white can be tricky, Depending on the age of the door it might be impossible to get a perfect match.

I dont know the u values off hand but I would suspect they would be better than your old glass units but not as good as modern double glazed units.

I went to a local company, pretty much the same price as online, cut to size, MDF reinforcing. They lent me a stack of uPVC sample swatches - lots of variations of white/beige - and one of them matches pretty much perfectly.

In hindsight pure white from eBay would have looked horrendous - I didn't even consider that!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
And I bet you thought there was only one white, whites white isn't it......oh no not with pvc, all my customers are shocked when I show them my colour swatches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back