REPLACE DOUBLE SWITCH LIGHT SWITCH with DOUBLE DIMMER. Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Even the title confuses me ! ok living room with 2 lights - one light fitting with 2 switches (1 for each - on & off) - Would like to fit dimmer switch that I have purchased (one light fitting with 2 dimmers). original switch fitting has 2 blocks.
1 on left / 1 on right, each block has L1 - L2 - L3. There are red wires
(all red) going to left block L1 & L2 & right block L1 & L3 - There is also another red wire linking L2 left block to L1 right block. - The new dimmer I have has 2 blocks also 1 on left & 1 on right in these blocks are terminals L2 & C , there is a L1 but it has no fittings / screw in it. Can someone explain how to change these over ?

Sponsored Links
are you attempting to wire a two way function, so there are two dimmer switches controlling the same light?
or are you just fitting a double dimmer plate to operate to different lights?

There are red wires
(all red) going to left block L1 & L2 & right block L1 & L3

There is also another red wire linking L2 left block to L1 right block.

One way i would say.

Do the new instructions show whether to use C or L2 as the live in.
If not

The two terminals linked with red wire are the equivalent of the "Commons"

The two single remaining wires go one each in the L2 terminals

are you attempting to wire a two way function, so there are two dimmer switches controlling the same light?

HI - I am just trying to wire up two seperate dimmers to opperate two lights seperatly. cheers

Sponsored Links

HI - I am just trying to wire up two seperate dimmers to opperate two lights seperatly. cheers
a double dimmer as you quote -(1 plate with 2 dimmers)

hi rocky - instructions dont say -- but on back of each block on rear of switch it states "Connect wires either way round" does this help ?

another thing - (there always is !) with the original wiring as stated the switches are operating opposite to each other eg when lights are both off the switches are positioned opposite to each other.
would it be better to change wires to get both switches in same position for on/off on original switch then follow your instructions changing to new ?
that would i guess be a yes ?

if so what is correct wire positions for getting switches identical on original switch plate ?

There are red wires
(all red) going to left block L1 & L2 & right block L1 & L3

There is also another red wire linking L2 left block to L1 right block.

One way i would say.

Do the new instructions show whether to use C or L2 as the live in.
If not

The two terminals linked with red wire are the equivalent of the "Commons"

The two single remaining wires go one each in the L2 terminals

Sounds like your
L2 on the left block is the (C) common with link to L1 on right.
This can be tested by a voltage indicator.
So these reds should be swapped over to the terminals mark C on your dimmer.
you will be then left with two reds the red in L1(left) can go to the the L2(left) on dimmer and the red L3(right) to the L2 on right of dimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back