replace downstairs radiators and valves in two story house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I have a two story house and the radiators need to be replaced. I need to replace the radiators, valves and cut the pipes to fit the new radiators.

I have a loft tank, boiler upstairs and also a tank (I believe it is the Central Heating Tank) on the ground floor.

I'm thinking of following these steps:
- Turn off the central heating and Hot water system
- turn off the boiler
- turn off the stop cock to prevent water entering the sytems
- stop the small tank upstairs from filling up with water (tie up the ball in the cistern)
- drain the system through the radiator at the lowest point
- once completely drained I can then remove the radiators, cut the piping to fit the valves and replace with new radiators.

I would then repeat the steps above in reverse order to fill back up the system.

Have I missed anything ??

I'm worried I'm oversimplified this of course so I'm looking for someone to confirm or more importantly let me know if there are any other 'tricks' or tips to watch out for when doing this. Any suggestions ??

please help - DIY is something I toy with but don't want the wife to not be able to have a shower or have the boiler damaged at the end of all this..

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
What you propose to do sounds ok but are you sure the small tank for the central heating isn't in the loft? Whilst you have it drained down clean the small tank out aswell it will probably be full of crud,try and make sure none of the crud goes down the cold feed pipe that tops up the system.Take note that each drops for the rads will need emptying. When finished ensure you top up with inhibitor via your tank whilst the system is filling.

Bleed the rads starting with the downstairs first.

Have a good read on here about balancing the system when you have finished to ;)

sorry I meant to say that I believe the small tank IS in the loft .. not the upstairs...

are you saying that I have to plug the tank in the loft before it has this excess water go through the system ? or that I just need to be conscious of the sludge that may be within the whole system..

I had a builder 'flush' the system while while the master bedroom upstairs radiators were done which then had inhibitor applied to it so I'm hoping not much sludge exists..

thanks heaps for your help.

Sponsored Links
If it has been flushed recently it shouldn't be that bad but just be aware that there may be a build up of sludge at the bottom of the tank its the perfect time to give it a good clean. You don't want any sludge if it can be avoided to work it's way down your cold feed pipe and block it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back